There are so many different cannabinoids that make up the cannabis plant, and many people are familiar with the most famous examples, like THC and CBD. However, as we learn more about cannabis, some of the lesser-known cannabinoids are stepping into the spotlight, like CBD. What is CBN and what can it do? This guide will cover all you need to know.
What Is CBN?
CBN is simply a type of cannabinoid, just like CBD, THC, and 100+ others. The full name of the CBN cannabinoid is cannabinol. It can be sourced naturally from cannabis sativa plant matter or produced synthetically. Typically, it forms when THC degrades as it is exposed to heat, air, light, etc. For this reason, high levels of the CBN cannabinoid are often found in old and dry bits of cannabis.
Potential Benefits of CBN
Compared to the likes of THC and CBD, there hasn’t been a lot of research into CBN and what it’s capable of. However, limited studies have revealed a range of interesting potential benefits associated with CBN products. So, what is CBN good for? Here’s a list of possible advantages and uses of this cannabinoid:
- Treating Epidermolysis Bullosa – Epidermolysis Bullosa is the name given to a group of rare skin disorders that cause skin blisters. Researchers have been looking into the prospect of using CBN oil and cream directly onto the skin of affected individuals, with promising results so far.
- Reducing the Effects and Symptoms of Glaucoma – Glaucoma is a relatively common eye condition that tends to affect people as they get older. It causes gradual vision loss and eventual blood pressure in the worst cases. Studies suggest that CBN may be of use in reducing the chance of eye and nerve cells from dying off, slowing the progress of the condition and helping to preserve a patient’s sight.
- Relieving Pain – Just like many other cannabinoids, CBN also has been found to have pain-relieving properties. It can help to soothe the sensation of pain around the body, which could make it a useful ingredient in the battle against chronic pain conditions or other health issues that lead to regular aches and pains.
- Anti-Insomnia – CBN may also be able to assist those who struggle with insomnia and similar sleeping conditions. CBN sleep studies have shown that this cannabinoid can present quite strong sedative effects, making it a valuable sleep aid. Many insomnia patients could see major live improvements with CBN for sleeping.
- Anti-bacterial – CBN is also one of the many cannabinoids that have the power to battle bacteria. It has been tested against various bacterial strains, including some that are resistant to antibiotics and has proven highly effective. It could therefore prove useful in the future for killing and slowing the spread of certain microbes.
How to Use CBN
There are many different types of marijuana products that can contain CBN as an active ingredient, including oils, tinctures, gummies, capsules, and more. There are also certain types of strains of cannabis flower that may contain high concentrations of CBN or ways to decarb (heat) cannabis to degrade the THC and generate more CBN.
However, it’s always best to speak with a medical professional before you start using any new cannabinoids, like CBN, or communicate with cannabis experts for trusted advice. You can contact us for further details about this cannabinoid and recommendations about the best ways to take it and how to control your dosage.
What Is CBN Oil?
CBN oil is a specific cannabis product that takes the form of liquid oil and contains high levels of CBN. Given that a lot of cannabis plant matter is quite low in CBN naturally, CBN oil is one of the best options for people who want to consume and feel the effects of this particular cannabinoid.
Just like CBD oil and other cannabis oils, CBN oil can be made by soaking cannabis plant matter in a solvent substance of some kind. The cannabinoid soaks out into the oil, which can then be consumed in different ways, such as dropping under the tongue or mixing with drinks and food items.
Is CBN Legal?
At the time of writing, CBN does not feature on the US list of scheduled controlled substances. However, given the fact that CBN is closely connected to THC, and THC is very strictly controlled due to its psychoactive effects, the legality of CBN is something of a gray area and may change at any time.
It’s important to note that the legal situation surrounding cannabis and all of its many compounds and cannabinoids is changing all the time. Laws can vary greatly from one state to the next, and many proposed pieces of legislation are being looked at and voted on, which could change the situation even further.
To avoid any worries or risks with the law, it’s best to stay aware of the legal situation in your state or region and consult with professionals if you’re unsure about anything.
Where to Buy CBN Products
If you’re interested in purchasing CBN products, the best place to go is an official, licensed dispensary. A cannabis dispensary in Portland, for example, can provide you with all the cannabis products you require, including CBN oil and other CBN products. The staff at dispensaries are also able to provide guidance and answer questions you may have.
As we can see, even though it’s not as popular or well-known as the likes of CBD and THC, CBN has a lot of possible uses and benefits. It could prove to be a very therapeutic and soothing cannabinoid for some people, but additional studies are needed to learn more about it and how it works.